Terms of Service (Essential)
Chapter 1: General Provisions
Article 1 (Purpose)
The purpose of the regulation is to define rights, duties, responsibilities and various issues between the users and the Seoul Metropolitan Library to use the service of the Seoul Metropolitan Library.
Article 2(Definition of the Terms)
① The following terms used in this Agreement shall have their meanings defined in the following way
1. “The user” means a member or a non-member when connecting to and using the Service provided by the Seoul Metropolitan Library.
2. “A member” means a person who has consented to the provisions of this agreement and provided their own personal information and can use the materials and the services of the Seoul Metropolitan Library.
3. “A non-member” means a person using the Service provided the Seoul Metropolitan Library without subscribing as a member.
4. “ID” (unique number) means the a name or special word combined with alphabetical character and Arabic number that are selected by the user and authorized by the Seoul Metropolitan Library.
5. “PASSWORD” means a combination of letters and numbers selected by the user for protection of his/her personal information
6. “Cancellation of the Service” means the expression of the intention of either the user or the Seoul Metropolitan Library to terminate the use of the Service.
7. “ID Card” means an identity card that is authorized by the Seoul Metropolitan Library for the user to check out / return the materials of the Seoul Metropolitan Library outside.
8. “Post” means a message, photo, video, etc. and files posted by the user on the web service.
② Other terms used in this agreement without the terms defined in the first section ① are defined in the related acts and subordinate statutes.
Article 3(Effectuation and Modification of the Agreements)
① This agreement notified officially on the service screen or by other ways and is effectuated when the user who agrees with the agreement joins the service.
The Seoul Metropolitan Library reserves the right to revise the contents of the agreement in case of necessity, within the scope of the related acts and subordinate statutes, the revised contents of agreement are displayed on the service screen in compliance with the reasonable process.
② In case the user refused to agree the revised contents of the agreement, the user can reject to join the service. If the user continues to use the service, the revised contents of the agreement are considered as the user agreed it. The revised contents of the agreement are effectuated as the same ways as the first section.
③ The user should access the service page and check the revised contents of the agreement. The Seoul Metropolitan Library has no responsibility about disadvantages caused by the user’s unawareness about the revised contents of the agreement.
④ The Seoul Metropolitan Library reserves the right to define the terms of service or regulations of each service (hereinafter referred to as ‘Each service guidance’). In case each service guidance is conflict with this agreement, each service guidance is applied preferentially.
⑤ Other excepted contents are based on the telecommunication framework act, telecommunications business Act, the act on promotion of information and communications network utilization and information protection, etc.
Chapter 2: Contract for Use of Service
Article 4 (Effectuation of the Contract for the Usage of the Service)
The Contract for the usage of the Service shall be established by the user’s consent to the provisions of this Agreement.
Article 5 (Request or Secede for the Service)
① The request to use the service is possible on the user’s information web page by filling the user’s personal information in the requested form.
② In case the user tries to cancel the contract for use of service, the Seoul Metropolitan Library check whether the user has the overdue books. If the user has the overdue books, the user can cancel the contract after completing to return the books. The delinquent user’s information can be preserved within a certain period based on the library operation rules.
Article 6 (Permission and Rejection of Request for the Service)
① The Seoul Metropolitan Library should permit the user’s request for the service, if the user complete to fulfil the requested form of the article 5 exactly, except in the special cases.
② The Seoul Metropolitan Library reserves the right to reject the use of services in case below the events until the problem is solved.
1. In case the contents or user’s information is false or there is any doubtable reason.
2. Other necessary cases the Seoul Metropolitan Library defines.
③ The Seoul Metropolitan Library reserves the right to restrict the user service in cases as below.
1. In case the user requests to use the service by using another’s name illegally.
2. In case the user under 14 ages didn’t get the legal representatives agree (parents, etc.).
3. In case the user requests to use the service for the purpose to disturb the stability of a society or harm our traditional custom.
4. In case the user disturbs other user’s service usage or steals the another’s personal information.
5. In case the user does the prohibited actions of the site usage rule or this agreement.
6. In cases the requested requirements for the service usage the Seoul Metropolitan Library established are incomplete.
Article 7 (User Information Modification)
Although the user can read the user’s own information anytime, the user should modify their own address or mobile number by the information desk of the library. In case there are changes of user’s own information, the user should modify the information as soon as possible. The user is responsible for the problems happened by delaying modifying the information.
Chapter 3: Service Supply and Usage
Article 8 (Service Supply)
① The service can be supplied from the time when the Seoul Metropolitan Library permitted the user’s request.
② In case the service can’t be supplied due to operational or technical problems, the library should notify the situation online or send the messages to users directly.
③ The service is provided for 24 hours a day throughout the year as a rule. The service can be stopped temporarily due to technical problems. Also, if there are the system maintenance check, infrastructure extension or replacement, etc., the service can be stopped for the period. In this case, the Seoul Metropolitan Library should notify it in advance or afterward.
④ Even though after the user signed up the service, the library can supply the service for the special user in accordance with the user’s needs or set the usage time periods for each service by dividing all the service scopes. In this case, the Seoul Metropolitan Library should notify it in advance.
⑤ The closing days are notified on the web site. In case the operational service interruption is needed, the Seoul Metropolitan Library should notify it in advance.
⑥ In case the user needs to issue the ID card to check out the books of the Seoul Metropolitan Library, the user should sign up on the web site.
Article 9 (Change and Stoppage of the Service, Storage and Usage of Information)
① The user agrees that the Seoul Metropolitan Library has no responsibility to lose, delete and fail to send the service messages, other telecommunication messages due to the state of national emergency, the blackout, the service problem beyond the Seoul Metropolitan Library’s management scope or other irresistible forces.
② The Seoul Metropolitan Library can revise or stop offering the service in accordance with the policy, the operation, the technique, if there are reasonable causes. And the Seoul Metropolitan Library doesn’t compensate for the user.
③ In case there are changes about the service contents, supplements, usage methods and service hours, the library should notify it at least 1 week in advance. The Seoul Metropolitan Library is not responsible for the unawareness of user about the changes. If there are reasonable causes, the advance notification period can be shortened or omitted.
Also, in case the service messages, other telecommunication messages are lost due to the service stoppage, the Seoul Metropolitan Library is not responsible for the loss.
④ If the service should be stopped permanently due to the various reasons, the Seoul Metropolitan Library applies the second section ② of this article. In this case, the advance notification period is defined as one month.
⑤ In case the user violates this agreement, the Seoul Metropolitan Library can stop the service or block the user’s access arbitrarily. Also, the library can delete the contents of the user’s posts comprehensively or partly.
⑥ In case the inactive user for a long time, the library can stop the service through the notification by sending email or notifying inactive ID online.
⑦ In case the user doesn’t consent the personal information agreements, the user’s personal information is deleted in accordance with the steps established by the library. The user’s ID is restricted to use for signing up the service again.
Article 10 (Provisions of Information and Commercial Advertisements)
① The Seoul Metropolitan Library can provide members with commercial advertisements or information in case of necessity about member’s use of the Service. These can be provided via e-mail, ordinary mail, short message Service (SMS), direct mail (DM) or internet messenger. The user can refuse to receive the unwanted information.
② Regarding the operation of the Service, the Seoul Metropolitan Library can post commercial advertisements on the service screen, the homepage, or e-mail messages. It is considered as the user who would like to use the service agrees with the posting advertisements.
③ The Seoul Metropolitan Library isn’t responsible for the loss or damages that occurred by the advertisements posted on the service or the user’s participation for the promotion activities.
Article 11 (Management of the Posts of Bulletin Boards)
① The Seoul Metropolitan Library can delete the user’s posts if the contents of the post are included in following categories. The Seoul Metropolitan Library isn’t responsible for any results that caused by the below cases:
1. In case the contents violate this agreement or are the profit-making purpose advertisement, illegal, obscene, indecent.
2. In case the contents calumniate or slander the third person to damage somebody’s honor.
3. In case the contents disturb the public order or harm the traditional custom.
4. In case the contents aggravate the criminal acts search as the illegal duplication or hacking.
5. In case the contents infringe the third person’s rights search as copyrights.
6. In case the contents are unsuitable for the service characteristics or the blocked user’s posts.
7. In case the contents violate other relevant act regulations or rules.
② The Seoul Metropolitan Library reserves the right to revise, move, delete the post in the service, after 3 days from the advance notification.
③ In case the specific period of the posted contents is over or the contents lose the validity as the posted contents, the Seoul Metropolitan Library can delete the posts through the notification for 1 week after notifying the notice to delete the posts.
④ The Seoul Metropolitan Library reserves the right to discontinue the post (or transmit) due to the third person’s request to stop to post that slanders the somebody’s honor or in fringe the intellectual property rights. The Seoul Metropolitan Library follow the results from the lawsuit, agreement and decision of the organization
⑤ In case the user’s post is discontinued, the user can request to restart to post on the web service. Unless the user request to restart the post, the library can delete the post.
Article 13 (The ownership of the Seoul Metropolitan Library)
① The copyright of the user’s post is subordinated by the user, the Seoul Metropolitan library can utilize the post within the reasonable scope that is compatible with fair practice without the user’s permission as below.
1. The post can be reproduced, revised and edited within the scope that maintains the post’s original characteristics for the Seoul Metropolitan Library service operation, transmission, distribution.
2. The post can be offered, displayed or promoted for the public or private organization, portal, broadcaster and press etc.
② The user is restricted to commercially process or sell the information that is obtained by the library service. The user is responsible for the civil and criminal cases occurred in case the user’s post infringes other’s copyright, program copyright.
③ In case the library utilizes the user’s post by other ways except the cases of the first section ①, the library should get the user’s agreement through the various ways (ex. telephone, fax, e-mail, etc.). The user can request to restrict to read and omit the post from the search results and the Seoul Metropolitan Library should cooperate it.
Article 13 (The ownership of the Seoul Metropolitan Library)
① The Seoul Metropolitan Library has the ownership of intellectual property right and other right about service, SW, image, mark, logo, design, service name, information, trademark, etc.
② The user is restricted to revise, rent, loan, sell, distribute, produce, transfer, license, commercialize, establish security right about the properties defined from the first section without the Seoul Metropolitan Library’s permission. And the third person also is not permitted to do as above.
Chapter 4: Contractor’s obligations
Article 14 (Obligations of the user and information security)
① In case the user modifies the personal information, the user should provide the correct personal information based on the facts. If there are false information or the user uses other’s personal information illegally, the user is prohibited to assert all the related rights.
② The user should obey the related acts and subordinate statutes, rules of this agreement, usage guides, notified precautions, etc. Also, the user is prohibited to disturb and damage the library’s honor or other users when using the library service.
③ After the user complete the processor for signing up the service, receives the own ID/PW. If there are some changes related to the user’s information, it is requested to renew the user’s information immediately. To manage user’s ID/PW, the user should do as below.
1. In case another user uses another’s ID/PW without the owner’s permission, the owner user should notify it to the Seoul Metropolitan Library immediately.
2. The user should complete to logout the ID after uses the PC or service.
④ The user agrees to keep from doing below behaviors.
1. The behavior to harm another person.
A. The behavior to steal other’s ID/PW and disguise as another person.
B. The behavior to specify the relationship with another person untruthfully.
C. The behavior to spread the true / false information to slender another person.
D. The behavior to distribute false information for private profits or to suffer another person.
E. The behavior to disturb another’s life by transferring the words, sound, texts, images or videos repeatedly making someone feel sense of shame or hatred.
F. The behavior to use the library service for private profits without the Seoul Metropolitan Library’s permission.
G. The behavior to steal and use another’s information and communication service name.
2. The behavior to post unnecessary advertisements, promotional materials or send junk mails, spam, chain letters, repetitive useless posts, pyramid selling.
3. The behavior to distribute vulgar or obscene data, texts, SW, music, photos, graphic, videos, messages, etc. (hereafter referred to as “contents”) and hacking, computer virus.
4. The behavior to email or post the contents having no rights (including intellectual rights).
5. The behavior to send advertising information or various contents without another’s permission.
6. The behavior to cause the inconvenience of library’s stable operation service.
7. Other illegal or unfair behaviors.
Article 15 (Obligations of the Seoul Metropolitan Library)
① The Seoul Metropolitan Library should make the users use the library service on the user’s requested date unless the special reasons.
② The Seoul Metropolitan Library has a duty to offer the service continually and stably according to the agreements.
③ In case the service of the Seoul Metropolitan Library causes the user’s damage or the damage occurred by the library’s purpose or gross negligence, the Seoul Metropolitan Library takes responsibilities for the damages. The scope of responsibilities is limited in general damages.
④ In case the user’s opinion or complaint is considered as reasonable, the Seoul Metropolitan Library should solve the problem immediately. But if it is not afforded to solve it immediately, the library should notify the reason and process schedule for the user.
⑤ The Seoul Metropolitan Library makes effort to protect the personal information including the user’s information as required by the related acts and subordinate statutes. The library obeys the article 16 of the related acts and subordinate statutes.
Article 16 (Personal Information Protection Policy)
① The Seoul Metropolitan Library collects the user’s information that the user provides when the user requested to user the service, the user’s personal information is used to fulfill the usage contracts and provide service of the contract.
② The Seoul Metropolitan Library is not able to disclose or distribute the user’s information collected to provide the library service without the user’s consents and not reserved to use the information commercially. But the specific cases are excepted as below.
1. The national investigation agencies requests the user’s information for the investigation based on the related acts and subordinate statutes.
2. To check the user’s cheating behavior including the ordinance and agreement violations for the information protection.
3. In case that there is request based on the related acts and subordinate statutes.
Chapter 5: Cancelation of contract
Article 17 (Cancelation of the contract and Usage restriction)
① In case the user needs to cancel the usage contract, should request to cancel the library service on the web site by oneself.
② The Seoul Metropolitan Library can request user to change the ID or PW and change them to another one directly by the reasons of security, ID management policy and providing service.
③ The Seoul Metropolitan Library can cancel the contract by the reason of user’s behaviors as below.
1. The case that the user’s information is false or the user steals and uses another’s ID/PW and personal information.
2. The behavior to distribute or post the vulgar and obscene contents disturbing the public order or fine customs to another person by the communications (ex. Email).
3. The behavior to ridicule or threaten another person or distress and disturb the specific person.
4. The behavior to use another’s ID/PW, personal information illegally or deal and provide another user’s ID.
5. The behavior to modify the library SW without the permission of the Seoul Metropolitan Library or try to modify or modify the information of the posts on the web site and server hacking.
6. The behavior to copy, publish or broadcast the information obtained by the library service and provide the information to the third person without the permission.
7. The behavior to disturb the library’s service operation including impersonating the library’s staff or the person concerned and disturbing service on purpose.
8. In the cases against the related acts and subordinate statutes or the usage conditions the Seoul Metropolitan Library defined.
9. The user can protest the usage restrictions according to this agreement and the objection is considered as justifiable, the service is resumed immediately.
Chapter 6: Others
Article 18 (Fee and Charged Information)
The service is basically free of charge. But the specific information and service needs to be paid for usage.
Article 19 (Prohibition of Transfer)
The user is prohibited to transfer and donate the usage right of the service and other status of the usage contract to another and provide them as collateral.
Chapter 7: Compensation for Damages, etc.
Article 20 (Compensation for Damages)
The Seoul Metropolitan Library is not responsible for the damages of the user related the complimentary service except that the damage is caused by the Seoul Metropolitan Library’s gross negligence or intention.
Article 21 (Exemption Provisions)
① In case the library service cannot be provided when caused by the natural disaster or the similar irresistible force, the Seoul Metropolitan Library is exempted from responsibility for the damages.
② The Seoul Metropolitan Library is exempted from the damages caused by the unavoidable reasons including the service facility repair, replacement, inspection.
③ The Seoul Metropolitan Library is not responsible for the obstacles of the service usage that is attributable to the user’s fault.
④ The Seoul Metropolitan Library is not responsible for the profits or damages generated when the user uses the library service.
⑤ The Seoul Metropolitan Library is not responsible for the reliability and accuracy of the information, materials, facts, etc. the user posted. And the Seoul Metropolitan Library is unbeholden to intervene in the disputes of the users mutually and between the users and the third persons. Also, The Seoul Metropolitan Library is not responsible for the damages from the disputes.
Article 22 (Competent Court)
① Despite the effort that the Seoul Metropolitan Library tries to solve the disputes caused by using the library service, when the lawsuit is brought between the user and the library, the competent court is decided as the competent court of the library.
Additional Rules (Enforcement date)
This agreement is effective on June 1, 2015.
Personal Information Handling Guidelines (Essential)
1. The personal information collected
A. The Seoul Metropolitan Library is collecting the personal information minimally for the users to use the library service as below.
- Essential Items
: ID, PW, Name, Birth date, Gender, Address, Phone No. of the house or work place, Mobile No., Email address, Local/Foreign person, etc.
B. The information can be made automatically and collected in process of using the service.
- IP Address, Cookie, Access record, Service usage record, Check out record, Overdue record, etc.
2. Purposes of collecting and using the personal information.
A. To operate and provide the library service
- Provide the web service and library service
B. User Management
- Confirm the personal identification, intention to join, legal representative identification, preservation of records, customer service including complaint handling, etc.
3. Possession and Usage Period of Personal Information
- The user’s personal information is possessed and used for 2 years from the registration date except that the user secedes from the library by the user’s request. After the purposes of collection and usage are archived, the user’s personal information should be deleted immediately.
Therefore, in case the user who doesn’t have the overdue materials requests to secede the service or the user doesn’t agree with the agreements of the collection‧usage about the personal information, the user’s personal information should be deleted immediately.
4. Rights of Information Holder
A. The user of the Seoul Metropolitan Library has the rights related with processing the own personal information as below.
- The right to check and read the user’s own personal information. (including issuing copy of the personal information)
- The right to hold processing, revise, delete and destroy.
- The right to check the processor or procession company whenever the user needs in case the user consigns the personal information.
- The right to be compensated for the damages caused when processing the user’s personal information by the impartial process.
B. Refer the personal information processing policy posted on the web site about the way and the process to exercise the user’s rights, the library will reserve the user’s right about personal information optimally.
[Veto for the agreement and Disadvantages]
The user has the veto for the agreement collecting and using the user’s personal information. But, the user disagrees the agreement, cannot sign up for the library.
Additional Rules (Enforcement date)
This agreement is effective on June 1, 2015.